Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Dedication.

I've never touched you.
On rare occasion did I hear your voice directed at me, when not many miles away.

I've never looked in your eyes with a pounding heart in my chest or felt the electricity of anticipation pulsing from your fingertips.

But I've answered the phone at 2 AM and listened to your mumbled words, your thoughts tumbling incoherently from your lips, trying to decipher every word.
I've written words for the sole purpose that you would read them, that you would like them, find something inspiring in them.
I've gone out of my way to be clever just for your amusement, to grab hold of your attention.
I've basked in your compliments, laughed at your witticisms, and shrugged off your sly suggestions.

You said you like to play with fire and I'm the hottest thing on your plate.
I rolled my eyes.
But when you said you were an optimist,
I held on to every word.

You've been my intellectual stimulation, attraction, and my inspiration.

Have I ever said thank you?

No comments: